Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Updates from the Road!

Hey guys! Since I last wrote I have had many exciting things happen!  I ended up winning my US Open Regional Qualifying in Atlanta.  It was awesome to win the tournament and be one step closer to a qualifying wildcard into the US Open.  I played a talented up and coming junior in the finals.  I played really well and won 6-1, 6-2.  It was a great feeling to win the tournament, and my friends and family could come out to watch me since it was in Atlanta! So now I go to New Haven on August 18th to compete against the other 15 girls that won their regional tournaments.  The winner goes straight to the Open!

After the tournament I had a few days to rest and train till I started the 10k tournament that was in Atlanta at The Falls at Autry Mills.  I actually had never been there before but it was a BEAUTIFUL neighborhood.   The houses were so beautiful and the tournament facility was really nice.  You never know what you are going to get when you go play a 10k so its always a bonus when the facility is nice!  I won my first two matches to make it to the quarterfinals and then lost to Lauren Embree who plays for the University of Florida.  It was a tough match, and I seemed to just make too many errors at key moments in the match.  I was really disappointed, but had the semifinals of doubles that day with Alex Hirsch so I had to get over it quickly.  Alex and I won in a supertiebreaker to reach the finals of doubles.  We ended up losing the finals in a tough match (5-7 6-3, 8-10) but it was still a great tournament for us!  After Atlanta I took a week off to rest my body and train and then headed to St Joseph Missouri for a 10k.

I was originally scheduled to play a 50k in Lexington Kentucky the week after Atlanta, but changed my schedule because I felt like my body  needed a week off.  I had played in St Joseph Missouri before, and needless to say it is not my favorite city.  I wasn't too excited about going back there, but I knew it was a great opportunity to do well.  And it ended up turning out to be a great week for me...I WON the TITLE!  It was my first singles title of the year so I was really excited!! I won my first 3 matches fairly easily, and then had a very tough match in the semifinals.  I was down 3-6, 3-5  and came back to win 3-6, 7-5, 6-2.  In the finals I played really well and ended up winning 6-1, 6-0.  I have been in two other singles finals this year and was not able to win, so I was extra determined to win this one!  Since I made the finals I could not make my next tournament in Vancouver in time...but I guess its a good problem to have!  I leave Saturday for a 50k in the Bronx.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Nice work! Congrats on the win! Keep the momentum going!

    ReplyDelete